Information collected by DD
You are not required to provide information directly to us in order to view DD. However, when you use certain functions, such as when you register for certain services, access and interact with DD, certain information may be collected automatically, including:
- your computer’s Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- your browser type and operating system;
- the web pages you were visiting immediately before and after you came to DD;
- activities within community discussions;
- web pages and advertisements that you view, and links that you click on, within DD;
- your bandwidth speed and information about the software programs that are installed on your computer;
- aggregated data about email click-through rates and user video viewing;
- standard server log information; and
- information collected through HTML cookies, Flash cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.
We may access information about you from third-party sources and platforms including:
- if you access third-party social networking services (such as Facebook Connect or Twitter) through DD, your username and connection lists for those services;
- demographic data, such as age range, gender, and interests;
- advertisement interaction and viewing data, such as ad click-through rates and information about how many times you viewed a particular ad;
- and unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law.
Please note that DD may combine the information that we collect with information we obtain from third-party sources.
How this information is used
We may use the information that we collect to send you e-mail communications, such as editorial updates, information about your account or changes to DD, and promotional messages about our own or our marketing partners’ products and services. If you signed up for one of our email newsletters, we also will send you the newsletter that you requested.
In order to provide our readers with free access to our content, we display advertisements on DD, many of which are targeted based on information about you. For example, using information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other sources, we may use demographic data or information about your online activities or interests to display targeted advertising that may be relevant to your preferences. Through this process, advertisers reach visitors who are most interested in their products, and you see advertising for products or services in which you may be interested.
In order to learn more about how our website is used, we aggregate and analyze the data that we collect. We may use this information, for example, to monitor and analyze use of DD, to increase our website’s functionality, and to better tailor our content and design to suit our visitors’ needs.
We value your privacy, and shares information about our users only under certain circumstances. We will make information about you available to other companies, applications, or people in the circumstances listed below:
- We may share aggregated information i.e. information that does not directly identify you with third parties to help us develop content, services, and advertising that we hope you will find of interest. Please note that we do not share contact information with third parties that advertise on DD.
- We may employ third parties to perform website-related services, including database management, maintenance services, analytics, marketing, data processing, and email distribution. These third parties have access to your information only to perform these tasks on our behalf.
- If you choose to engage in public activities on the website, such as posting comments, any information you submit can be read, collected, or used by others. Please exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personal information in public activities or submissions.
- We may share information about you to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety or other rights and interests of any person, violations of DD’s Terms and Conditions, or as otherwise required by law.
- We may share information about you to respond to subpoenas, search warrants, judicial proceedings, court orders, legal process, or other law enforcement measures, to establish or exercise our legal rights, or to defend against legal claims.
- In addition to the scenarios identified above, we may share information about you for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
Please note that third parties may independently collect data about you, including your IP address and information about the websites you visit and the links you click, through cookies, clicks on links, or other means when you visit or view ads on DD.
To customize your experience on DD and to simplify DD’s registration process, we provide you with the opportunity to access or interact with third-party services, such as Facebook and Twitter. When you connect to DD through these third-party services, we may share information about you with these third-party service providers and they may share data about you with us.
To enhance and personalize your experience on DD. When you are connected via a third-party service, we may access certain account information, such as your profile picture, what stories are popular in your network, and what your friends are saying about certain articles or blog posts, in order to enhance and personalize your experience on DD.
In addition, if you connect to a Facebook account, your experience on DD may be personalized. For example, you may automatically see what stories are popular in your network, and what your friends are saying about particular stories.
Please note that you may disconnect third party accounts at any time. You also may be able to modify your privacy settings directly with the third-party service.
Please remember that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party services. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of all third-party service providers.
Confidentiality and security
We limit access to contact information about you to employees or service providers who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs. We also have adopted commercially reasonable technical, physical, and administrative procedures to help protect information about you from loss, misuse, and alteration.
Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using DD, but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
Questions and suggestions
Effective Date: Feb 20, 2014