Some interesting divorce stats – While 41 % of first marriages end in divorce, 60% of second marriages end in divorce and 73% of third marriages end in divorce. There is 1 divorce occurring every 36 seconds, somewhere in the US.
Divorce Statistics of US have thrown out some facts that are worth thinking about:
- While 41 % of first marriages end in divorce, 60% of second marriages end in divorce and 73% of third marriages end in divorce.
- There is 1 divorce occurring every 36 seconds, somewhere in the US.
- The chances of divorce increase if :
- One of you or both of you are smokers.
- There is money problem.
- One of you hangs out more with divorced people.
- One person does all the chores.
- Chances of divorce decrease if :
- You are more than 25 years of age.
- Your parents are still married.
- This is your first marriage.
- You went to college.
- Your marriage is of many years duration.
- You are an atheist.
- The average length of marriage of a couple, who go in for divorce, is eight years, while the average age of the couple, who go for their first divorce, is 30 years.
- Women who divorced in the past twelve months had a greater probability of receiving public assistance as compared to recently divorced men.
- Nearly 41% of non-custodial mothers totally default on support as compared to 30% of non-custodial fathers who totally default on support.
- Almost 31% of a person’s friends who are in the age range of 35 to 54 years and who are married, engaged or cohabiting, have been previously married.
- People wait for an average three years post their divorce, before attempting a second marriage.
- There is a relationship seen in marriages between differing races, gender and divorce.
- Asian wife/ White husband unions show a 4% greater chance of divorce by the 10th year as compared to White/White marriage.
- White men/non-white women marriages show no significant difference in divorce rates.
- Black wife/White husband marriages have a 44% less likely chance of divorce by the 10th year as compared to White/White couples.
- A study undertaken by the University Of Iowa in 2011 concluded that there was a higher chance of divorce within the first ten years of marriage if there was loss of virginity before the age of eighteen.
- Men and women of the South undergo higher rates of divorce, whereas those from the Northest have the least divorce rates. A family demographer at the Census Bureau explained the incidence of higher rates of divorce in the South as being due to higher rates of marriages that occur in the South, while since in the Northeast first marriages are generally delayed thus leading to lower marriage rates and hence lower divorce rates.
- The percent of divorces in a particular year is less (1%) for currently married same sex couples as compared to married straight couples, which is 2%.
- While the high earnings of a young man decrease the likelihood of his getting a divorce, there is no such similar effect on a high earning young woman.
- Around 30% of college graduates who get married get divorced, while nearly 50% couples who have not completed high school do so.
- While 43% of American children are being raised without their fathers, 75% of children with divorced parents live with their mother.
- 28% of children living with a divorced parent live in a below the poverty line income.household .
- 50% of all American children will be a witness to the breakup of a parent’s marriage, while a further 50% of this same group will be a witness to the breakup of a parent’s second marriage.
www.divorcesource.com › Categories